Please Note: Information may be used for research, but please remember to provide sources for your information with a link to this website. Including data posted to online genealogical sharing sites. This data may not be posted on any other website in its entirety without permission from the EFA.


Asher Robbins Eddy 1925

Asher Robbins Eddy was b. Nov 1 1823 at Newport, Rhode Island. He was the first child born to Joseph Wilbour Eddy and Anna Maria Robbins. Asher was named after his mothers father Asher Robbins.

Asher attended the United States Military Academy graduating 5th in his class out of 25 members July 1 1844.

From January 24th until January 10th 1850 he was assistant professor of Mathematics at the academy.

On August 12th 1865, in General Order No. 46, by which the organization of the Regiment was entrusted to the following officers: "Brig. Gen. Charles T. Robbins, acting as Colonel, Christopher Blanding, acting, as Lieutenant-Colonel, and Peter A. Sinnott, Major, with Brigade Major Joseph P. Balch as assistant to General Robbins." Drs. Henry W. Rivers and Robert Millar were appointed medical examiners.

Not long after Asher, who was a captain in the regular army, was invited to take the place of acting Colonel Robbins. This was a temporary assignment and none of the officers including Asher were ever mustered upon commissions for these positions.

Asher was sent to Camp Ames in Pawtucket and here the companies began to assemble in August. Asher along with the other men listed above would spend three weeks mustering, clothing and drilling the men.

Asher served in the Civil war as a Colonel of the 3rd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry

When the Civil War ended Asher continued his military career spending 6 years in San Francisco and Oregon. Here he was an officer in the Quartermaster Corps.

On February 25th 1878 he was granted 6 months leave of absence due to illness. Asher applied for a special passport on April 30 1878 and travelled to Weisbaden, Germany. Here he applied for and received an additional 6 month leave.

Asher Robbins Eddy died at Malta, apparently of Egyptian Dysentery on January 27th 1879. A monument was placed at the San Francisco National Cemetery.


Charles Mattison Eddy


Charles Mattison Eddy was born May 24 1855 in Orono, Clarke Township, Durham County, Ontario, Canada. He was the first son born to Hiram Kilburn Eddy the village Blacksmith and Electa Pinkham who had come with her family from Quebec to settle in Clarke Township. Charles was named after Hiram’s brother Charles Mattison Eddy.
He and his family lived in the building where his father conducted his Blacksmith work
From an early age Charles resided with his Uncle C.M Eddy on Lot 22 Concession 3, Clarke Township. He attended school section # 5 when he wasn’t working on his Uncle’s farm.
Upon his Uncle’s death in 1869 Charles was bequeathed the farm in which he would reside on for 65 out of the 85 years of his life.
Being only 15 at the time of his Uncle’s death the farm was leased out to James Moore until the time in which Charles would turn 20. Charles returned home to reside with his parents for a few years.
In his early 20’s Charles made a name for himself as an expert horse trainer apparently known all over the province for his expertise. Colts trained by him were sent as far as the Western provinces.
On Sept 4 1879 Charles married Amelia Jane Gibson. The daughter of James Gibson and Eliza Carscadden.
They resided on the Eddy Farm, where 2 children were born to them. Charles Mattison Eugene Eddy and Amelia Bernice Electa Eddy.
Sadly Amelia did not recover after the birth of their second child and died a week after the birth on April 1st 1885.
After his wife’s death Estella Maude Gibson, the younger sister of Amelia came to live with Charles to help him raise his 2 young children.
Six months after the death of his first wife Charles married Estella on September 4th 1885. To them 4 children were born, Adella Maude, Florence Alvira, Waldimer Leslie and Freeman Laverne.
Estella died Aug 19 1929 in Orono, Ontario.
During his later years Charles collected local news for publication in the Toronto Daily Star. He was also a school trustee of the Brown’s section and known to all as a singer, and a reciter of tales from his boyhood days in Clarke Township.
On October 25 1940 Charles decided to take a walk around his farm, his daughter Florence who was residing with her father became concerned after a few hours when her father did not return. His son Freeman was called and a search was made for Charles.
Around 8 p.m Charles body was found at the edge of his farm. Dead at the age of 85 from natural causes.
Charles was buried at Orono Cemetery, in Clarke Township.

Stephanie Eddy

EFA Genealogist


Ezra Butler Eddy 4946

Ezra Butler Eddy was born Aug 22 1827 at Bristol, Vermont to Samuel Eddy and Clarissa Eastman.

Ezra attended public school, in the Bristol area until approximately the age of 15. At this time Ezra spent a year working in New York, after which time he returned to Vermont, eventually settling in Burlington.

In 1846 Ezra married Zaida Diana Arnold, daughter of John Arnold and Uriah Fields.

Together they would have three children before her death in 1893.

In 1851 the same year his daughter Ella was born, Ezra began to manufacture friction matches.

Between 1851 and 1854 Ezra would travel with his family to Canada, settling first in the Ottawa area and then in Hull, Quebec where he td., as well as several sawmills, E.B Eddy Directing Company of Canada Central Railway, which was known by 1874 as the the E.B Eddy Mills.

In 1856 Ezra added to his business the manufacturing of wooden items such as washboards and pails.

From 1871 to 1875 he was a member of the Quebec State Legislature; he was also elected the Mayor of Hull Quebec six times from January 24th 1881 to January 28 1885 and January 25 1887 to January 17 1888. He was also elected Mayor and Alderman in 1891 and 1892

In the 1881 census of Hull he is listed as a lumber manufacturer.

In 1886 the E.B Eddy Manufacturing Company was incorporated and in 1891 the name was changed to The E.B Eddy Company

In 1894, less than year after the death of his first wife, Ezra married Jennie Sheriff.

In 1901 they resided on Aylmer Rd. in Hull Quebec.

Ezra died February 10th 1906 and his body was taken to Bristol, Vermont where he was buried at the Bristol Board Cemetery.

In 1976 a Plaque was dedicated to Ezra Butler Eddy in Hull, Quebec.

Henry Turner Eddy 3768

Henry Turner Eddy was born June 9, 1844 in Stoughton, Massachusetts. H was the son of Henry Eddy and Sarah Torrey.

Henry attended a private school in Brockton, Massachusetts in his early years, then attended Yale University receiving the Mathematics Medal in his graduating year, 1867. He went on to attend the Sheffield Scientific School in 1868, originally known as the Yale Scientific School.

From 1868-1869 he became an instructor in Mathematics and Latin at the University of Tennessee before accepting a position at Cornell University in 1869 where he was the assistant professor in Mathematics and Civil Engineering until 1873. While at Cornell Henry was awarded an M.S degree in Civil Engineering in 1870. He also became Cornell’s first Ph.D. in 1872, just 7 years after the founding of the university.

From 1873 to 1874 Henry was the Associate Professor in Mathematics at Princeton University.

In 1874 he accepted a position as chair of the Mathematics, Astronomy and Civil Engineering at the University of Cincinnati, which was founded in 1870 absorbing Cincinnati College which had been founded in 1819. In 1874 he was appointed Dean of university, holding this position until 1877 and again from 1884-89.

In 1880 he spent time studying abroad at various universities including the University of Berlin, the Sorbonne and the College de France at Paris.

In 1890 Henry accepted the position of Dean at the Rose Polytechnic Institute at Terre Haute, Indiana until 1894. At this time he accepted a position at the University of Minnesota as a professor of engineering and mechanics. In 1906 he was appointed Dean of the graduate school of the same university.

In 1912 Henry Turner Eddy retired with plans to publish his research.

He was the author of such research works as “A Treatise on the Principles and Applications of Analytic Geometry”,The Theory of the Flexure and Strength of Rectangular Flat Plates Applied to Reinforced Concrete Floor Slabs”, “Researches in Graphical Statics” to name a few.


Ira Eddy

Ira Eddy was born to Oliver Eddy and Elizabeth Yeaw on May 2 1798 in Glocester or Burillville, Rhode Island.
In 1800 the town had a population of 4009 individuals. An act was passed in 1806 that officially divided Gloucester. The southern portion remained Gloucester and the northern name Burrillville. The town was named after Honorable James Burrill, RI Attorney General.

Around 1818, Ira immigrated to Canada.  He probably would have left Rhode Island and travelled through New York, prior to crossing
He may have first briefly settled in Kingston, Ontario where it is thought he may have married his wife Zoa Kilburn. They then travelled to Antioch in Clarke Township, Durham County, Ontario, and then shortly before 1825 they settled in Orono, Clarke Township.

In 1825 only 55 families were settled in the Clarke Township area.
Ira appears as having a family with 5 members.
This would include himself and his wife Zoe, and their 3 sons, James, Ira and Charles.
Upon settling in Clarke, Ira would have built a log or board shanty for his family to live in. Over time a new home would probably have been built from logs, cleared from the property.
During the first winter months, land would have been cleared in order to seed in the spring.
Ira was a farmer, therefore the planting of crops would not only provide food for the family, but enable them to trade the items for necessities that they could not make or grow themselves.

In 1828 30 year old Ira enlisted in the 1st Durham Militia Regiment.

In 1839 at age 41 he is listed as a private on the 1st Regiment Durham Militia List of Transfers From the 1st Battalion to the 2nd Battalion or Reserve on the 4th day of June 1833.

Stephanie Eddy

EFA Genealogist


Richard Eddy  (1828 – 1906):  The “Fighting Chaplain.”

Since September 11, 2001, our country has looked back upon its military leaders for strength and courage.  The Eddy family can count one of its own as a member of that cherished group.  The Rev. Richard Eddy (1828 – 1906) saw active duty in the Civil War as a chaplain, and his story is a most unusual one. Eddy was a loyalist wed to the general government, an abolitionist and a man of rare common sense.  He was born in Providence, Rhode Island on June 21, 1828, and apprenticed as a bookbinder when a teenager.  At the age of 20, he began to study for the ministry.  Ordained in 1850, he held pastorates in the Universalist churches in different towns in upstate New York until the war broke out.
Eddy was serving as the pastor in a small church in Canton, St.Lawrence County, northern New York, when on September 17, 1861, he was nominated to be the Chaplain of the 60th Regiment New York State Volunteers, a unit then forming, and he joined the regiment on November 9, 1861, in Washington.  He was involved in a number of campaigns during the Civil War, including Antietam.  He performed his duties faithfully, and with much understanding of the daily needs of the men and officers of the regiment.  During his year and half of service to the Union, he took a very active role in the leadership of the regiment including performing many duties far removed from the chaplaincy. Regarding his godly duties, while at or near the front, Eddy performed almost 100 religious services and attended to many funerals.  And he had the first-hand opportunity to learn much about the men and the reasons for the war.  In addition, on October 2, 1862, soon after the battle of Antietam, Eddy saw Lincoln for the first and only time:  “He [Lincoln] looked pale and worn, as though the terrible care and responsibility of his position weighed heavily on him.  He remained but a short time, being obliged, in order to avoid the appearance of partiality, to visit all portions of the army.” 
At Antietam the Colonel of the 60th Regiment was killed.  After the Colonel’s death and because the next in line for command of the regiment was in poor health, the Brigade Commander, General George S. Green, in a most unusual but not unprecedented move, recommend Rev. Eddy’s to take command the 60th Regiment NYS Volunteers.  It was quite an honor to recommend a chaplain to command a regiment of almost a thousand men (at full strength) but Governor Edwin D. Morgan of New York, the official vested with the responsibility to make the appointment, did not agree.  The Governor did not believe that a chaplain should command a regiment in battle, even though many of the key officers of the 60th Regiment supported General Green’s recommendation.  Eddy was obviously angered and dismayed.  Whether his feelings were justified is questionable since by training and experience he had been prepared for the ministry and not the military. However, it is well-known that during the Civil War many leaders had less military seasoning than Eddy and yet made brave and courageous officers and leaders.  
Surely based on this disappointment – for Eddy did want to command the regiment - and, as Eddy himself stated, because of his “ill health and anxiety of my mother,” he tendered his resignation and was mustered out of service on February 20, 1863, and was honorably discharged.   After going to his home in Baltimore, he received a offer to pastor at a church on Lombard Street in Philadelphia. However, escaping the military was not that simple.  His past and his reputation were well known. 
Eddy was obviously held in high regard in the military – even after he resigned.  On April 4, 1863 – just before he had agreed to take the position in Philadelphia - officers of another upstate New York regiment, the 106th Regiment New York State Volunteers, offered him the vacant chaplaincy of that regiment (the offer was signed by 36 officers, all of the officers in that regiment), and tried to coax him back into the military. In the course of their written offer to Eddy, the officers of the 106th Regiment could not have paid him a higher compliment:  

Feeling as we do, the necessity of filling so responsible a post [regimental chaplain] with a minister whose experience and tastes qualify him for it, we make you this offer with entire confidence in your ability, character and piety, and in your every qualification to make our soldiers Christians, and adorn our camp life with the beauties of holiness.  More than this, we want a “fighting chaplain” one who fears not to do his duty in the hour of danger, and who believes that the Enfield Rifle is an instrument in God’s hands to work out divine ends.

            Eddy could not let a letter like that go unanswered.  Responding on May 1, 1863, Eddy called the offer “cordial and flattering.”  Eddy told them that he had agreed to take the pulpit in Philadelphia and explained why:  “While your invitation is for several reasons the most gratifying of any I have ever received from any source, and the inducements to accept it have consequently been very numerous, I have felt that very much ought to be done to educate the people at home and that my former position in the Army entitled my theories to some weight and have therefore considered it obligatory upon me to make the decision I have now communicated to you.”  Eddy considered it a higher duty to educate the people at home than to once again “enter the field.”
Eddy’s speeches in Philadelphia over the next several years demonstrate how assiduously he attempted to educate the “home front” on the evils of slavery and inequality in a representative form of government.  For several years, time and time again his voice was heard in the little church on Lombard Street explaining to his listeners the history of freedom in the United States.

Harry D. Boonin
112 Pocasset Road
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Samuel Eddy 926

Samuel Eddy was born in Johnston, Providence Rhode Island March 31 1769 to Richard Eddy and Martha Comstock and was raised in Johnston, R.I until approximately 1783.

At the age of 14 Samuel’s father Richard, accepted a position of Steward at Brown University, in Providence, RI. Brown’s University was established in 1764 and is the 7th oldest University in America.

He would hold this position for less than a year as he died Oct 20 1784. At this time his widow Martha took over his position for the remainder of the year.

Samuel attended Brown’s University where he studied law, graduating in 1787. He went on to practice in the area until 1790, at which time he was appointed Clerk to the Superior Court. Samuel maintained this position for 2 years and then again in 1793.

Samuel went on to become Secretary of Rhode Island from 1798 until 1819 a total of 21 years.

In 1818 Samuel wrote “Reasons Offered By Samuel Eddy, Esquire For His Opinions, To The First Baptist Church of Providence, For Which He Was Compelled to Withdraw For Heterodoxy”

He was then elected as a Democrat without opposition to the Sixteenth, Seventeenth, and Eighteenth Congresses from 1819 to 1823 and then again 1825. He was an unsuccessful in his bid for re-election in 1824 and for the election in 1828 to the Twenty-first Congress.

In 1826 and 1827 he served as associate justice of the State supreme court and then went on to serve as chief justice for next 8 years ending in 1835.


Samuel Edwin Eddy 1368

Samuel Edwin Eddy was born June 2 1822 at Whitingham, which is a small town located in the southern area of Vermont and bordering Massachusetts along its southern area. His parents were Henry Eddy and Catherine Bemis.

Samuels family resided in Whitingham until at least 1839 when their last child was born.

It is known that Samuel made his home in Chesterfield, Massachusetts from 1849 as he married Sarah Todd at Chesterfield, Massachusetts July 13 1849 and it appears that all four of their children were born there.

He was trained as a blacksmith.

At the age of 40 Samuel enlisted on July 23, 1862 at Chesterfield, Massachusetts, and was mustered Sept 2 1862 to the 37th Massachusetts Infantry.

He was wounded March 25, 1865, Petersburg, VA and also fought in Sailor’s Creek during the Appomattox Campaign. An estimated number of 9,980 men died and a number of others wounded.

On April 6 1865, nearly one fourth of the retreating Confederate army was cut off by Sheridan’s Cavalry and elements of the II and VI Corps. On this day Samuel "Saved the life of the adjutant of his regiment by voluntarily going beyond the line and there killing one of the enemy then in the act of firing upon the wounded officer. Was assailed by several of the enemy, run through the body with a bayonet and pinned to the ground, but while so situated he shot and killed his assailant.” For this Samuel was awarded the “Medal of Honor”

On June 9 1865 Samuel was mustered out of the army.

Samuel died Mar 7 1909 and was buried at Mount Cemetery, West Chesterfield, Mass.


William F. Eddy 14043

William F. Eddy was b. Aug 9 1852 in Newcastle, Ontario, Canada. He was the only surviving child of James Thomas Eddy a local mason and carpenter and Mary A. Clarke.

William was raised in Newcastle attending the local schools of the area. William’s two younger siblings and his mother had died by the time he was 12 years old.

At a young age he was apprenticed by his father and attended Albert College in Belleville, Ontario. A co-ed school which was opened in 1857 and today is a private school.

During the time in which William apprenticed with his father, he assisted in building the Christian church and the Bible Christian church at Orono.

On October 27 1875 William married Lavernia Cecelia Wetherell daughter of J.S and Sarah J. Wetherell. To them were born 3 children, Mabel Winnifred, James William Smith and Franklin Luzerne.

In the early months of 1882 William left his family in search for a new life.

He left Newcastle to travel to Winnipeg, then on to Battleford, in the North West Territories and then finally made his way to Regina, Saskatchewan, arriving on October 13 1882.

The settlement in Regina was not an easy one. During the first few months and through a cold winter William with other settlers would reside in a tent settlement which was called “Pile O Bones”.

Within a year after settling in Regina, William sent for his family.

With settlers like William to ply their trades, the plains of Regina soon became a great settlement. William helped build many of the first structures in the city such as the first brick house in Regina and a building on South Railway Street which was first occupied by the Union Bank.

On July 12 1884 William’s wife and mother of his 3 children passed away in Regina. Her obituary stated that she had been suffering from feverish attacks and pain in the region of her heart. Unfortunately William was away in Calgary, Alberta at the time of her death.

A year after her death William returned to Newcastle with his children, to reside with his father and step mother, Martha. At home he once again assisted his father in his work.

On October 12 1886 William married Winnifred Vanderwater the daughter of Daniel and Lucy Vanderwater in Foxboro, Ontario. She was born in 1853 in Ontario.

Soon after their marriage the Eddy’s once again decided to return to Regina.

Upon his return William took an active role in politics. First acting as a councillor of the town council and in 1897 to 1898 he was the mayor of Regina.

Later he would try for a seat on a grander scale on the government of the Northwest Territories but did not succeed.

In 1897 William founded the Regina and District Old Timers Association. An association formed to recognise senior citizen pioneers of the area.

The first meeting was held at the Lansdowne Hotel. William was elected president and a membership fee of .25 cents per year was deemed a fair price for membership.

The group remained as “men only” until they finally realised in 1900 while planning a banquet, that they could not plan such a formal affair without the help of women. In 1997 the Association celebrated its 100th anniversary.

William F. Eddy, died August 3 1930 in Regina, Saskatchewan. He is buried in the Regina Cemetery in the Eddy family plot.

The Eddy Apartments in downtown Regina, were built by and named after William F. Eddy and was declared a heritage building in 1983.

Stephanie Eddy

EFA Genealogist

William Leonard Eddy 2991

William Leonard Eddy was born June 1 1845 at Leicester, Massachusetts to Leonard Eddy and Isabella Newton.

William was educated in the local schools, and then attended Worcester Academy until he enlisted in the 25th Massachusetts Infantry, Company K.

During his service he participated in the Battle of Cold Harbor May 31-June 12, 1864 among others.

Twice during his military career he was injured, the second being a gun shot wound to his right arm, which he claimed a pension for. He received an honourable discharge at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in September, 1865.

In 1867 William settled in Crawford County, Kansas where he formed a partnership with Colonel Percy Daniels in a general mercantile business.

Eventually William left this partnership to pursue an interest in dairy farming. He named his business, Crystal Jar Dairy which he ran on his one hundred and sixty acre farm.

In 1881 he is listed as W. Lawrence Eddy residing in Crawford, Kansas. His occupation is listed as a farmer.

William died April 19 1935 at Crawford, Kansas.